Published: Tue, May 23, 2017
Worldwide | By Gretchen Simon

Indian climber goes missing on Mt Everest

Indian climber goes missing on Mt Everest

Anshu Jamsenpa created mountaineering history on Sunday by summiting Mount Everest twice in five days - her fifth overall since 2011. Officials originally said he had been found unconscious.

It is the third death so far this climbing season.

Yearwood was part of a 16-member team led by American climber Dan Mazur that is climbing the normal Southeast Ridge route from the Nepali side of the mountain.

The American, Yearwood, holding passport no. 552705032 died at balcony. He was stranded above base camp, which was decimated by an avalanche, for 40 hours before a helicopter was able to bring him to safety.

Roland Yearwood, 50, from Georgiana, Alabama, died Sunday but details were not immediately known, said Murari Sharma of the Everest Parivar Expedition agency, based in Kathmandu, Nepal's capital. "The chopper can land at only Camp 2, after which the Sherpas will trek up to the South Col area to look for the missing Indian climber".

"We had clearly directed our guides to return if they were unable to reach the summit before 11am", said Chowang.

Real Madrid equal Bayern scoring record in Atlético Madrid clash
Zinedine Zidane is the first manager since former Inter Milan boss Helenio Herrera (1964-65) to reach two straight European finals.

"Efforts are underway to conduct a search for the missing climber", Sherpa added. The guide left Kumar with a supply of oxygen and went down the mountain to find help.

The guide then descended to Camp IV to send a rescue team as he suffered multiple injuries due to frostbite and snow blindness. Min Bahadur Sherchan, 85, and experienced Swiss climber Ueli Steck have already died during an acclimatisation climb.

Last year, Everest had claimed six lives.

In 2014, an avalanche at the Khumbu icefall killed 16 Sherpa guides.

The 2015 season was scrapped after 19 climbers were killed and 61 injured by an avalanche at the base camp triggered by a massive natural disaster. Four Navy personnel - Lt Commander Bikas Maharana, Lt Shashank Tiwari, Lt Commander C S Yadav and Lt Anant Kukreti - began the final push at 8 pm on Saturday while braving extreme cold, snowfall and high jet streams before finally making it to the top where they unfurled the Navy's flag at 6:30 am on Sunday. Since May 15, more than 150 individuals have reached the summit.

Despite the risks and recent disasters, Everest's allure remains undimmed, with Nepal issuing 375 permits for this year's spring climbing season.

Like this: