Published: Wed, May 24, 2017
Worldwide | By Gretchen Simon

Ariana Grande suspends tour after Manchester terror attack

Ariana Grande suspends tour after Manchester terror attack

A suicide bomber blew himself up as young concert-goers left a show by the American singer Ariana Grande in the northern English city of Manchester, killing at least 22 people, some wearing the star's trademark kitten ears and holding pink balloons as they fled.

"There's been no identification, there's no martyrdom video... so one would suspect that the ISIS claim is retrospective and opportunistic, and actually they don't have a clue who this attacker was".

Greater Manchester Police also carried out a "controlled explosion" in the Cathedral Gardens area near the Manchester Arena, but have since confirmed the item they found was abandoned clothing and not unsafe. A 23-year-old man was arrested Tuesday in south Manchester in connection with the bombing.

Eighteen-year-old Georgina Callander was the first confirmed victim of the terror attack.

Ariana Grande suspends her world tour.

US President Donald Trump condemned the "evil losers" behind the bomb attack.

Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) has claimed responsibility for the terrorist attack in Manchester on Monday night.

Manchester Arena holds 21,000 people and is the largest indoor arena in the UK.

May chaired an emergency Cobra (Cabinet Office Briefing Rooms) meeting here in the wake of the blast.

Police say they are investigating whether the bomber was part of or was in contact with a terror network.

Meanwhile, scores of parents who had come to pick up their children from the concert were running towards the arena, she said.

Eight-year-old Saffie Rose Roussos from Leyland has been named as one of the victims killed, the Lancashire County Council confirmed.

"Saffie was simply a bueatiful little girl in every aspect of the word", Tarlton Community Primary School headmaster Chris Upton said.

Bishop Rawstorne Church of England Academy in Croston, northwest of Manchester, posted a photo of Georgina on its website, smiling and looking smart in her school uniform.

Ariana Grande suspends tour after Manchester terror attack
Ariana Grande suspends tour after Manchester terror attack

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims", it said.

"Following the deadly bombing, Grande tweeted that she didn't have words to describe what had happened".

The Dangerous Woman Tour is the third concert tour by Grande to support her third studio album, Dangerous Woman.

Queen Elizabeth II said Tuesday that "the whole nation has been shocked".

"I would like to express my admiration for the way the people of Manchester have responded, with humanity and compassion, to this act of barbarity", she said.

Britain's terrorist threat level has been set at "severe" in recent years indicating an attack is highly likely.

"These were children, young people and their families that those responsible chose to terrorize and kill". Security has also been boosted in London.

People began paying their respects to the victims on Tuesday afternoon. And then everyone just went really quiet. The explosion, which took place in the foyer area that is semi-public, occurred around 10:35 p.m. local time. "We've tried everything we can".

"IS maintains the intent and capability to inspire transnational attacks", said Coats, adding "homegrown violent extremist pose the greatest threat to United States homeland, and they are attacks with little warning".

Olivia had gone to the concert with a friend and neither have been in contact.

"I'm just hearing nothing - her phone's dead".

"We are now treating this as a terrorist incident until we have further information", Hopkins said. They would think that's a great name.

A US Department of Homeland Security statement said it was "closely monitoring" the situation. I won't call them monsters because they would like that term.

"This wicked ideology must be obliterated".

Trump asked two intel chiefs to deny Russian Federation collusion
Trump's request to Rogers is not the first time he has made such an appeal to a top intelligence official. Rewind 43 years to June 23, 1972, and a White House meeting between Richard Nixon and Chief of Staff H.R.

Like this: