Published: Wed, May 24, 2017
Money | By Armando Alvarado

Oman says missing Australian citizen found in Yemen

Oman says missing Australian citizen found in Yemen

Oman said it had been making efforts to find him on behalf of the Australian government.

"I confirm that an Australian kidnapped in Yemen in October a year ago has been released and is safe and well", Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said in a statement. The citizen was brought to the Sultanate in preparation for his return to his country, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement.

The man was not named and the statement made no reference to whether he had been held hostage in Yemen.

The unnamed man was captured in October by unnamed assailants. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to talk to reporters.

Still struggling with back injury, Rory McIlroy will undergo MRI on Monday
He made par on the 18th - his ninth hole of the day - to go out in 40 strokes and appear destined to miss the cut. Day was still just three shots back after he signed his first-round card.

The order came after a request from the Australian government.

A government warning against travel to Yemen remains in place. Al-Qaida and the Islamic State group have also taken advantage of the chaos.

An assistant to Mr McAllister had told news agency EFE the Australian had been coaching an under-16 side in the capital Sanaa for two years before his kidnapping, having lived and coached in southern Yemen for four years previously.

Oman is the only Gulf Arab state that is not part of a Saudi-led coalition that has been battling the Yemeni rebels since March 2015 and it has mediated the release of several Westerners, including an American in November. In October previous year, it helped in the release of a French-Tunisian Red Cross worker.

Like this: