Published: Thu, May 25, 2017
National | By Rosalie Gross

Tenant Heard Tale of Missing Woman, Started to Dig

Tenant Heard Tale of Missing Woman, Started to Dig

Former Spanish Fork police Detective Carl Johnston told the Tribune that he used to call Kurfin every year about the case, but that Kurfin would just hang up on him every time.

"The tenant who was moving out this morning was removing some items from the cement cellar in the backyard", explained Lt. Matt Johnson with Spanish Fork Police.

Peggy Sue Case was 27 when she vanished in 1988.

Kufrin had been named a person of interest in Case's disappearance after she went missing, having reportedly called her workplace to says she was sick after the party before claiming the next day that she had gone out of town to buy a vehicle.

Almost 30 years after she went missing, Spanish Fork Police are hopeful they've found the remains of Peggy Sue Case buried in a backyard shed. He dug down 18 inches, found Case's skull and called police, who uncovered more of Case's skeletal remains, which were wrapped in plastic mesh and a blanket, Johnson said.

The mystery of Peggy Sue's disappearance has baffled police in the town roughly 50 miles south of Salt Lake City ever since the young woman's colleagues reported her missing on July 15, 1988.

Home Secretary: Manchester Bomber was 'Likely' Acting with Others
Streets started to get closed off nearly immediately when Manchester police realized they were dealing with a terrorist incident. Heavily armed police raided an apartment building in Manchester on Wednesday afternoon and a controlled explosion was heard.

Days after her disappearance, Kurfin became a person of interest and detectives began searching the property they shared together. Once the evidence has been reviewed and any new information is investigated, the statement said, facts of the case will be submitted to the Utah County Attorney's Office, who will make a decision on how to proceed in this matter. "It's unfortunate it's taken this long, but we're grateful (Case's remains were found), and hopefully we can get the case put together and hold the person responsible", Johnson said.

"It's hard to say if she was placed back there after the search or exactly what transpired", he said.

Case was last seen by her co-workers leaving a party. Kufrin allegedly believed Case was flirting with other men, which caused tension between the two.

Although investigators searched extensively for Case and even dug through the storage cellar, they never found any evidence. "We feel he has not been straight with us", a 1988 news release from police said of Kufrin. He refused to discuss the case with the Utah Board of Pardons, the Salt Lake Tribune reports.

"I don't want to talk about it", Kufrin said.

Experts are now trying to determine if it was indeed Case's skull that was found. Authorities indicated that they know Kurfin's current whereabouts and want to talk to him if the skull ends up being Case's.

Like this: