Published: Thu, May 25, 2017
Worldwide | By Gretchen Simon

UK Deploys 1000 Soldiers to Protect Key Sites After Bombing

UK Deploys 1000 Soldiers to Protect Key Sites After Bombing

The bomber's name, Salman Ramadan Abedi, was first revealed early on Tuesday by CBS in the USA and hours later the United Kingdom authorities put out a statement refusing to confirm the information until a formal identification had been completed.

'Very sadly I can confirm one of the victims is a serving police officer.

A police investigator holds a chemistry notebook as he works at residential property in south Manchester, Britain May 23, 2017.

British security forces arrested three more suspects Wednesday in connection with the Manchester concert bombing and sent hundreds of soldiers to secure key sites across the country, including Buckingham Palace and the British Parliament at Westminster.

The identities of those men and the charges against them were not announced; they were arrested "after police executed warrants in South Manchester", the Greater Manchester Police department says.

The attack was the deadliest in Britain since July 7, 2005 when four suicide bombers inspired by Al-Qaeda attacked London's transport system during rush hour, killing 52 people.

Next to a photograph of Olivia, Charlotte Campbell wrote on Facebook: "RIP my darling precious gorgeous girl Olivia Campbell taken far far too soon".

Mrs May announced late on Tuesday that the UK's terror threat level was being raised to the highest category for the first time for almost a decade.

Minniti called "to maintain a high level of vigilance, reinforcing security measures to protect targets deemed to be at risk, as well as places that are particularly busy and crowded" after the Manchester bombings.

She raised the country's terror alert to the highest level for the first time in a decade.

Intelligence services fear that a possible "expert" at large may have more devices - and suicide bombers - in preparation for further attacks.

Salman Abedi 'travelled to Syria and Libya' before carrying out Manchester attack
Members of the public attend a candlelit vigil, to honour the victims of Monday evening's terror attack , at Albert Square. The extra military presence means armed police are freed up to boost security elsewhere in the country.

In response to the heightened threat, the Government has activated Operation Temperer, providing up to 3,800 troops to support the police in their security operations. Ms Rudd said that 984 military personnel have been deployed.

"The intelligence services know a lot of people, and I'm sure we will find out more what level they knew about him in due course, but at the moment all they have confirmed is that they did know about him".

France's interior minister said Abedi is believed to have also traveled to Syria and had "proven" links with the Islamic State group.

Minister Gerard Collomb said Wednesday on BFM television that British and French intelligence have information that Abedi had been to Syria.

A Polish couple living in Britain were also caught in the explosion as they went to collect their daughters, Foreign Minister Witold Waszczykowski said.

"All of a sudden he travelled to Libya and then most likely to Syria, became radicalised and made a decision to commit this attack".

"It's very clear that this is a network that we are investigating."

The head teacher, Chris Upton, said her death was "a tremendous shock to all of us".

The suicide bomber who murdered 22 people and injured 59 at Manchester Arena has been named by police as Salman Abedi, a 22-year-old British-born man whose parents had fled the Gaddafi regime in Libya.

IS on Tuesday claimed responsibility through its social media channels, saying "one of the caliphate's soldiers placed bombs among the crowds", and threatening more attacks.

Like this: