Published: Sun, May 28, 2017
Sci-tech | By Carrie Guzman

UK police arrest 2 more suspects in Manchester bombing


This evening an image of Salman Abedi taken from CCTV on the night he committed the attack has been released.

Police say this is still a live investigation which is not slowing down and their priorities are to understand the run up to this awful event and to understand if more people were involved in planning this attack.

London Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said significant arrests meant a large part of the terror network around suicide bomber Abedi had been wound up.

Before arriving at the concert, which had attracted a young audience including many children, Abedi is believed to have put the final touches to his bomb in a city centre flat.

Greater Manchester Police chief Ian Hopkins and Neil Basu, the national coordinator of counterterrorism policing, urged people to contact police if they had information about Abedi's movements between May 18 and Monday night.

They said the investigation was not slowing, with some 1000 officers involved, and the priority was to determine if more people were involved in planning the attack.

Britain reduced its terrorism threat level a notch, from "critical" to "severe", as authorities said major progress has been made in unravelling the plot behind the Manchester bombing.

British Home Secretary Amber Rudd has said that other members of Manchester bomber Salman Abedi's terror network could still be at large, adding that the operation to hunt them continued at "full tilt".

The scale of the challenge facing police and security services was disclosed by sources in Whitehall after criticism that multiple opportunities to stop Monday's suicide bombing attack on the Manchester Arena had been missed, The Times said.

"From midnight on Monday, there will be a well-planned and gradual withdrawal of members of the armed forces, who will return to normal duties", she said.

Wenger adamant he's the man for Arsenal
Arsenal even had the luxury of a man advantage from the 68th minute when Victor Moses received a second yellow card for diving. The game's first goal witnessed another test of clarity of the offside rule to Anthony Taylor's refereeing team at Wembley.

Residents were evacuated from streets in the south Manchester neighbourhood of Moss Side in what police called a precaution as one search was carried out Saturday.

The British intelligence has identified 23,000 jihadist extremists living in the country as potential terrorist attackers, media reports said on Saturday.

"We thought he must have been a drug dealer or doing witchcraft", El-Hudarey told the BBC.

A senior government official previously admitted that a total of 18 plots had been hindered in Britain since 2013, including five since Westminster attack in March, which led to the death of 5 people and injured 49 others.

Despite the security situation, police have urged people to go out and enjoy themselves over the three-day holiday weekend.

Hundreds of soldiers replaced police at high-profile sites including Buckingham Palace and Parliament, and police armed with submachine guns have been deployed in city centers, transit hubs, tourist areas and at major events.

Arsenal fan Liz Johnson says she was a "sad after what happened in Manchester".

"Until the operation is complete, we can't be entirely sure that it is closed".

And responding to proposals of mass internship of suspects, she said: "It's not enough just to say "This is who the security services are following, maybe we should lock them all up". "We won't let hate win".

Like this: