Published: Fri, June 02, 2017
Worldwide | By Gretchen Simon

Man Charged For Allegedly Threatening To Blow Up Malaysia Airlines Flight

Man Charged For Allegedly Threatening To Blow Up Malaysia Airlines Flight

CANBERRA, Australia — A Malaysia Airlines plane was forced to return to an Australian airport after a mentally-ill passenger threatened to detonate a bomb and attempted to enter the cockpit, police said on Thursday.

Victoria Police originally thought there was more than one terror threat on board Malyasia Airlines flight MH128 to Kuala Lumpur, so they waited up to 90 minutes before special operations officers stormed the plane. "He goes "No, I'm not going to sit back down, I'm going to blow the plane up", Andy told 3AW.

Malaysia Airlines said the plane landed safely and the man was immediately apprehended by airport security.

The stranded passengers finally departed Melbourne yesterday night on another Malaysia Airlines flight.

Malaysia's deputy transport minister, Abdul Aziz Kaprawi, said the passenger claimed to have a bomb.

But the elite squads forced passengers to stay on the plane for nearly an hour and a half before storming the plane and arresting a 25-year-old man.

Superintendent Andy Langdon said the suspect appeared to have a history of mental illness.

The plane returned to the airport about 30 minutes after takeoff.

Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said the incident was "not now being treated as terrorism-related".

City halls and landmarks turn green in support of Paris climate deal
While traveling overseas last week, Trump was repeatedly pressed to stay in the deal by European leaders and Pope Francis. Unlike the U.S., China is not required to reduce emissions immediately and actually can increase emissions until 2030.

Such charges carry up to 10 years in prison.

Mr Leoncelli was about four rows from the front of the plane when he says he saw the man holding an object with antennas coming off it.

Armed officers from an elite police unit boarded the flight, handcuffing the man and escorting him off. Photographs taken by a passenger and supplied to AFP showed black-clad officers carrying rifles in the cabin.

Manodh Marks, a Sri Lankan living in Australia on a student visa, has been charged at the Magistrates Court in Melbourne with endangering the safety of an aircraft and making false threats. "They literally left us waiting and wondering", passenger Stan Young said to reporters on Thursday.

The passenger responsible for the disturbance was reportedly subdued by fellow passengers, according to Saiqa Chaudhery whose husband was also a passenger on the flight.

As he tried to move toward the cockpit, passengers grabbed him and tied him up while the flight returned to Melbourne.

Senior Constable for Victoria State Police, Adam West, stated the man never actually went into the cockpit.

However, the 200 passengers on-board the flight are told to remain at the airport while police conduct their investigation and gather witness reports.

"Malaysia Airlines would like to stress that at no point was the aircraft 'hijacked, '" the airline announced.

Like this: