Published: Sat, June 03, 2017
Hi-Tech | By Grace Becker

Apple app developers, many of them Indians, earned over $70 billion


70 billion reasons, actually: Apple said on Thursday that developer earnings from the App Store were over $70 billion since it launched in 2008. Meanwhile, download rates are also said to be up significantly. It's not just how many people are grabbing software for their iPhone or iPad, either. From the trends we've seen on the App Store and the experiences we've heard from indie developers lately, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that $70B has gone to a single-digit percentage of the now registered Apple developers.

As for specific categories, Apple has broken that down a little, too.

Popular app categories include Gaming and Entertainment, Lifestyle, and Health and Fitness, which are up 70% on the year. Apple keeps the remaining 30%.

NHL: Predators coach refuses to discuss possible goalie change
Sensing their opponent was on the ropes and bleeding, the Penguins scored twice more in 15 seconds to chase Rinne from the net. But it was something that Evgeni Malkin reportedly said to the Nashville Predators defenceman that sparked a late-game fight.

The subscription business model is now available across every app category - Tastemade is a mobile-first cooking network that has its own app. Looking out to 2020, Apple believes its services business can grow to twice the size it was at the end of 2016 - and Apple's going to need App Store revenue to continue growing nicely for this to happen.

"$70 billion earned by developers is simply mind-blowing". Schiller stated that paid subscriptions have increased to 58 per cent over this year. "We are amazed at all of the great new apps our developers create and can't wait to see them again next week at our Worldwide Developers Conference", Schiller said. Since launching the option to sell subscriptions through the Apple Store, increasing numbers of developers including video streaming sites Netflix and Hulu have taken advantage of the feature. The Cupertino, California-based tech company will hold its annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Jose from June 5th-9th, where it will unveil its upcoming tech. Across India, Apple supports over 640,000 iOS app developer jobs and other positions related to the iOS ecosystem. Certain categories of apps are growing even faster, such as photo and video apps, which grew almost 90% during the same period.

Like this: