Published: Пн, Июня 05, 2017
National | By Rosalie Gross

Massacre in Kabul's Diplomatic Quarter on Eve of Trump's Decision


The White House said it "strongly condemns the atrocious attack" Wednesday on Kabul's diplomatic quarter where a truck bomb killed scores of people.

The suicide truck bombing in the diplomatic district of Kabul, in what was supposed to be one of the most secure areas of the capital, also damaged several embassies, including the Canadian embassy.

"I want to tell those regional countries and those who are harbouring and training terrorists for their political targets that the Afghan nation and the global community is aware about their activities", Ghani said.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the bombing but both the Taliban and the Islamic State group have staged large-scale attacks in the Afghan capital in the past.

Pakistan were set to play their first Twenty20 match in Kabul later this year in what was seen as an opportunity for the neighbours to ease tensions over border skirmishes and alleged proxy warfare. The Kabul blast on early Wednesday morning claimed more than 80 lives and injured hundreds.

The French, Turkish, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, and Kazakh embassies reportedly sustained some damage too, but no staff injuries were reported.

ISIL has claimed responsibility for several recent bombings in the Afghan capital, including a powerful blast targeting an armored North Atlantic Treaty Organisation convoy that killed at least eight people and wounded 28 on May 3.

"Let's be clear: This is an intelligence failure, as has been the case with so many other attacks in Kabul and beyond".

Читайте также: Garbine Muguruza: 'Crowd could have been more respectful sometimes'

While the Afghan President Ashraf Ghani said that his countrymen will stand together against such "mindless" acts, slamming the incident, it received condemnation from Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and American President Donald Trump.

The victims appeared mainly to have been Afghan civilians.

Afghanistan's war, the longest ever involving US troops, has shown no sign of letting up and the introduction into the battle of an Islamic State affiliate has made the country only more volatile. "In the light of yesterday events we can not continue to deport, we should wait for the Foreign Ministry's analysis on the situation in the security sphere and only after that decide within the framework of the further", Schulz said.

Still, there are questions about whether a USA pledge to send more troops to Afghanistan will curb the violence.

"Not just the US, NATO has put billions of dollars into training and reorganizing the Afghan army".

The Afghan interior ministry says 64 people were killed and as many as 320 were wounded in the massive vehicle bombing in Kabul earlier in the day.

The BBC said an Afghan driver was killed and four of its journalists were injured.

The powerful explosion on Wednesday was described by officials as "one of the biggest" to have hit the Afghan capital.

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2017 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Like this: