Published: Tue, June 06, 2017
Worldwide | By Gretchen Simon

Melbourne siege an act of terror, ISIS claims responsibility

Melbourne siege an act of terror, ISIS claims responsibility

A terrorist gunman who killed a man and took a woman hostage at a block of flats in Melbourne has been shot dead by police.

Police in Australia say they are treating a shooting and two-hour siege in Melbourne as terrorism after Islamic State said it had inspired the attack.

"We're aware of. them having claimed responsibility, but then they always tend to jump up and claim responsibility every time something happens", he said.

Once Khayre arrived at the apartments, he killed the 36-year-old Chinese-Australian concierge with a shotgun and took the female sex worker hostage, calling police to say they shouldn't try to intervene.

Authorities were investigating whether Khayre, a Somali-born Australian citizen, may have lured officers to the wealthy suburb of Brighton with the aim of confronting them.

Victoria Police Deputy Commissioner Andrew Crisp told reporters a woman had been held hostage in an apartment Monday.

Police are searching Khayre's mother's home in Roxburgh Park, while the bomb squad is searching the Buckingham Serviced Apartments on Bay St in Brighton. They tried to negotiate with him before Khayre walked out of the building firing the shotgun.

Amaq said the attack was launched because of Australia's membership in a US-led coalition fighting against the armed group in Syria and Iraq.

Islamic State said via its news agency, Amaq, that the attack was launched because of Australia's membership in a US -led coalition against the militant group. The woman he took hostage was an escort he'd hired, and she managed to escape the ordeal unharmed. Another three were convicted of conspiring to plot the terrorist attack.

Sunil Grover is loving being a tourist in Prague
After this many people joined the conversation and requested Kapil to bring Sunil back on the show. Kapil had apologised to Sunil on Twitter but the latter was in no mood to return to the show.

Another man was reportedly found dead in the premises of the apartment, local media reports said.

Khayre once spent 16 months on remand before being acquitted of a 2009 terror plot to attack the Holsworthy army barracks in Sydney.

The woman was unhurt but three police officers suffered gunshot wounds that were not life-threatening, Ashton said.

"I have raised these with the Victorian Premier, whom I called last night and I called again this morning".

Police and counter-terror teams were deployed.

Khayre was acquitted of charges over that attack, but was known to have had links to the Somalia-based IS-linked terror group that the plot was traced back to.

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said the victim who died, a building employee, was "in the wrong place at the wrong time". He had a long record of violence. he had been charged with a terrorist offence some years ago and had been acquitted.

"Ultimately he's been qualified on parole and was on parole at the time of this offense". "He was known to have connections, at least in the past, with violent extremism", he said.

Mr Ashton said there was no indication at this stage that Khayre's actions were planned in concert with others.

Like this: