Published: Sun, June 18, 2017
Worldwide | By Gretchen Simon

British police identify third London Bridge attacker

British police identify third London Bridge attacker

British police arrested a man under counter terrorism laws on Wednesday as part of an investigation into the London Bridge attack.

Youssef Zaghba is said to have told Italian police "I'm going to be a terrorist" when he was stopped trying to travel to Syria a year ago.

An Italian intelligence source said Zaghba's Italian mother lives in the northern Italian city of Bologna.

Police said Zaghba had not been a subject of interest for them or for the MI5 domestic intelligence agency.

Meanwhile, another victim has been named as Australian Kirsty Boden, who her family said ran towards London Bridge in an effort to help people.

In addition to the eight killed, 48 were injured in the knife and vehicle assault on London Bridge and Borough Market's nearby bars and restaurants.

As interior minister from 2010 to 2016, May oversaw a drop of 20,000 in the number of police officers in England and Wales, which Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has said should never have happened and warranted her resignation.

Police shot and killed the three attackers, who were wearing suicide vests that turned out to be fakes.

Butt was also featured in a 2016 documentary on the British Channel 4 called The Jihadist Next Door, ABC News reported Monday.

Police had already named Butt and Redouane, a 30-year-old who claimed to be Moroccan and Libyan.

Britain can stay in European Union but perks will end: Verhofstadt
She is also trying to contain outrage at home over a London tower block fire which left at least 30 people dead. Monday will just be the first day of what will be more than 18 months of talks.

The accused however are not connected to the 1 June attack in the United Kingdom capital that left eight people dead, the police said on Thursday.

The body was recovered near Limehouse, downstream of London Bridge, at around 7.45pm on Tuesday by specialist officers from the marine police unit.

British police said the formal identification of the body had not yet taken place but that the family of the missing Frenchman, 45-year-old Xavier Thomas, had been informed of the discovery.

Metropolitan Police said in a statement that Thomas was in town for the weekend with his girlfriend.

Questions over the extent to which the terror gang were known to security services have been mounting since it was revealed another of the attackers, Khuram Shazad Butt, 27, had been investigated in 2015.

The so-called Islamic State (IS) group has said its "fighters" carried out the attack.

"People are going to look at the front pages today and they are going to say, 'How on earth could we have let this guy or possibly more through the net?"

His passport and cellphone were seized, but he got them back after a court determined there wasn't enough evidence to arrest him. There are 500 current investigations involving 3000 potential suspects.

Two people in Barking, east London, had also raised concerns about Butt, BBC home affairs correspondent Dominic Casciani said.

The latest arrests follow the detention of a 30-year-old man as detectives raided an address in Ilford in the early hours of Wednesday.

Like this: