Published: Tue, August 08, 2017
Medicine | By Earnest Bishop

Copper cocktail mugs may cause food poisoning, health officials say

Copper cocktail mugs may cause food poisoning, health officials say

In Iowa, the metal is prohibited from coming in direct contact with foods or drinks that have a pH below 6.0 - such as vinegar, fruit juice and wine. Iowa's Alcoholic Beverages Division has warned people about this, added that the copper and its alloys possess some bad qualities.

The popular Moscow mule cocktail is known around the world for the iconic copper mug that it is served in.

High concentrations of copper are poisonous and can cause foodborne illness, it said, as copper can leach into foods when it comes into contact with acidic foods. If they do, they risk suffering food poisoning.

A recent study conducted by the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division found that the mug may be poisoning drinkers. If you like cocktails, and enjoy the classic beverage Moscow Mule, you might be upset to hear this news.

The Military Can Now Shoot Down Drones Getting Too Close To Installations
Exactly how each base will deal with a drone based threat, "will depend upon the specific circumstances" said Davis. Davis said all bases, "retain the right of self-defense when it comes to UAVs or drones operating over [them]".

However, lucky for Moscow Mule lovers, they do have a solution to this dilemma. Complete with a lime garnish, the drink serves up aesthetically pleasing photo-ops for outlets like Instagram.

The average Mule has a pH well below 6.0 and is considered unsafe for consumption. Therefore, consuming it in a copper mug can be really risky. Before preparing the drink, make sure you choose one which has copper only on the outside.

Apparently copper mugs which are lined with a non-copper interior, such as nickel or stainless steel, have been deemed safe to use and are widely available. Problem is, CBS News reports, that cute copper mug might be poisoning you.

Like this: