Published: Wed, October 11, 2017
Sport | By Gary Shelton

Seemingly unhurt Nick Kyrgios Retires Mid-Match at Shanghai Masters

Seemingly unhurt Nick Kyrgios Retires Mid-Match at Shanghai Masters

Australian firebrand Nick Kyrgios apologised and said he had been unwell after he stormed off court to loud boos midway through his opening match at the Shanghai Masters today.

The 22-year-old, who had made the claim after becoming frustrated with the crowd inside the arena, subsequently quit the match after Johnson served an ace to clinch the opener 7-6.

The tournament has not been kind to the temperamental youngster and he was fined and banned for his actions at the event 12 months ago and there is every chance of a similar sanction this time around.

Kyrgios won the first three points but Johnson pulled back to level and umpire Fergus Murphy then gave Kyrgios a point penalty for an audible obscenity.

During the tie-break, Kyrgios was 4-2 ahead but could be heard complaining about fatigue as well as declaring his intention to forfeit if he went a set down.

The Australian served a ban from the ATP Tour past year after "tanking" - showing a lack of effort - in a second-round match against Mischa Zverev and arguing with the umpire and fans.

"I've been battling a stomach bug for the last 24 hours and I tried to be ready but I was really struggling on the court today, which I think was pretty evident from the first point".

Kate Middleton Makes First Appearance Since Pregnancy Announcement
William said: "It was Catherine who first realised that all three of us were working on mental health in our individual areas of focus".

"Once I lost the first set I was just not strong enough to continue", he wrote.

He continued to argue the toss with the official who eventually awarded a penalty point against the Australian during the changeover when he trailed 2-5, meaning he began the eighth game already 0-15 behind.

Kyrgios felt his right shoulder in his opening service game but seemed unhurt thereafter and took a 3-0 lead in the breaker despite complaining about how exhausted he was, having played in the doubles with Lucas Pouille a day earlier.

Also, big-serving American John Isner beat Serbian qualifier Dusan Lajovic 4-6, 7-6 (5), 7-6 (6) on a day with temperatures soaring past 32 degrees Celsius. "It felt like Atlanta in August".

"He played well. I played awful".

Elsewhere, Juan Martin del Potro, the 2009 US Open champion, booked his place in the last 16 with a comfortable 6-3, 6-4 win over Russian Andrey Rublev.

Like this: