Published: Fri, October 13, 2017
Worldwide | By Gretchen Simon

Women's group plans rally against Cy Vance over Weinstein case

Women's group plans rally against Cy Vance over Weinstein case

Vance's office has faced criticism for accepting a $10,000 donation from David Boies, an attorney for Weinstein, in August 2015, according to campaign financial disclosure forms from the New York State Board of Elections. Stephen Sigmund, a spokesman for Vance, said in a statement that Boies was not Weinstein's lawyer in that criminal case.

Vance's office on Tuesday blamed the NYPD for botching the probe of a groping incident involving Weinstein and model Ambra Battilana Gutierrez at the director's office in the TriBeCa Film Center in March 2015, despite the fact police obtained audio of the director essentially admitting to the crime.

Weinstein has denied having any non-consensual sexual contact with women.

Vance subsequently dropped the case after Trump's attorney, Marc Kasowitz, contributed $31,000 to his campaign in 2012, that report said.

"If we had a case that we felt we could prosecute and my experts felt we could prosecute against Harvey Weinstein, we would have", he said.

"Obviously, he has some serious issues, and the tape is bad", Mr. Vance said.

The Manhattan District Attorney's office, which is under fire for its handling of a sex assault allegation against Harvey Weinstein in 2015, is now urging other Weinstein victims to come forward.

"I think it's widely believed in the legal community that this was very much a prosecutable case", said NOW-NYC President Sonia Ossorio.

After the complaint was made in 2015, the NYPD - without our knowledge or input - arranged a controlled call and meeting between the complainant and Mr. Weinstein. The tape was handed over to the District Attorney in Manhattan. "But at the end of the day we operate in a courtroom of law not the court of public opinion".

Samsung may roll out Bixby 2.0 on October 18
Samsung even launched an update that can disable and turn off the dedicated button of its digital assistant . Bixby arrived with the Galaxy S8 handsets, but wasn't complete upon the model's launch for many users.

"While the recording is horrifying to listen to, what emerged from the audio was insufficient to prove a crime under NY law, which requires prosecutors to establish criminal intent", Friedman said in a statement released on Tuesday afternoon.

Prosecutors said the police did not have enough proof to show beyond a reasonable doubt every element of the two charges they could bring: forcible touching or third-degree sexual abuse.

Just months later, Kasowitz made a contribution of over $50,000 to the D.A. He claims the donations didn't have any influence over Vance's decision.

Vance denied in the report that the dropping of the investigation was a quid pro quo for the contributions.

A separate investigation last week found that Vance's office had been working on a case against Donald Trump, Jr., and Ivanka Trump, over allegations that they deceived potential buyers at Trump SoHo by exaggerating sales figures.

"Of course I want him out", Chino told Observer at a small protest outside Vance's office calling for his resignation on Tuesday evening.

He has been an advocate for sentencing reform and was one of the loudest voices opposing strong encryption for personal phones.

Vance is running unopposed in his campaign for re-election. Short of New York Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo firing him or Vance stepping down, he stands a strong chance of weathering the storm.

Amy Spitalnick, press secretary for New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, said the attorney general declined to comment in response to questions about Vance.

Like this: