Published: Fri, November 24, 2017
Worldwide | By Gretchen Simon

Philippines' Duterte formally scraps talks with leftist rebels

Philippines' Duterte formally scraps talks with leftist rebels

The Philippine government announced on November 22 the "cancellation of all planned meetings" with communist rebels under the umbrella of the National Democratic Front of the Philippines, including the Communist Party of the Philippines and its armed wing, the New People's Army.

In response, communist rebels said they have no choice but to intensify the protracted battle to topple the Duterte administration - Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) founder Jose Maria Sison said Thursday as he tagged President Rodrigo Duterte as the Philippines' "number 1 terrorist".

Sison said unilateral and bilateral meetings of the government and rebels' peace panels have been successful - but all these would be put to waste.

The common drafts discussed the amnesty and release of political prisoners, "coordinated unilateral ceasefires", agrarian reform and national industrialization under an envisioned Comprehensive Agreement on Social and Economic Reforms, he said.

Sison described the president as "utterly malicious and shameless" in threatening to classify the CPP-NPA-NDFP as terrorist groups and arrest members of leftist organisations.

The NPA took responsibility for the deaths on November 15.

"GRP officials in his Cabinet and the reactionary armed forces should consider whether he is mentally fit for his office or needs to be replaced in accordance with their 1987 Constitution", Sison said.

It's Thanksgiving, I am thankful…
So in the spirit of Thanksgiving, 10 Lawrence County citizens from various walks of life were asked what they are thankful for. I'm very thankful to have a great job working for and with people I consider to be some of the finest folks anywhere.

The NDFP has always submitted to the JMC its complaints of human rights and worldwide humanitarian law violations committed by the AFP and PNP under the ceaseless all-out war policy, Oplan Kapayapaan and martial law in Mindanao.

Sison said Duterte should have submitted his complaints to the Joint Monitoring Committee, composed of peace negotiators from the government and the NDFP.

However, President Duterte during his visit to the headquarters of special operations command on November 22, announced he will terminate the talks and categorized the NPA as a terrorist group, adding it is "not an entity worth talking to".

In his visit to soldiers on Tuesday, Philippine President Duterte said he wants to cut talks with the rebels following their attacks against troops and civilians.

"While we agreed to resume peace talks with the aforementioned group and exerted our best efforts to accelerate the signing and implementation of the final peace agreement, the NDFP-CPP-NPA has engaged in acts of violence and hostilities", Roque stressed.

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte has formally terminated negotiations with the communist rebels, citing their supposed failure to show sincerity in pursuing the peace process, Malacañang said.

His peace adviser Jesus Dureza on Wednesday confirmed Duterte's latest decision in a statement but declined to say if further meetings had been scheduled.

Like this: