Published: Fri, December 08, 2017
Worldwide | By Gretchen Simon

Newborn dies 7 days after mistakenly declared dead by Delhi hospital

Newborn dies 7 days after mistakenly declared dead by Delhi hospital

The baby boy died at a nursing home in Pitampura after battling for life for almost a week.

The baby's mother had given birth to twins, a boy and a girl, but the girl had been stillborn, according to CNN.

Deputy Commissioner of police (northwest) Delhi, Aslam Khan, confirmed the news and told the Press Trust of India that the baby died on Tuesday evening. The hospital wrapped the two bodies in two separate paper bags and then handed over to the family in a polythene bag.

A baby who was declared dead and woke up in a plastic bag while the family was driving to his funeral has now died, according to local media. But to their utter horror, the family found that the boy was still alive, while they were on way to do their final rites. Dr Sandeep Gupta, director of Delhi Newborn Centre where the baby boy died, said it was a "losing battle" from day one.

The infant died due to an infection at a nursing home after battling for life for almost a week - which jolted the entire family, which was demanding the arrest of erring doctors. "He was unable to keep his vitals up", Gupta said.

"We are shaken and concerned at this rare incident", said a spokesperson for the private Max Hospital. "Had the baby not been exposed for so many hours after his birth, maybe we could have probably prolonged his life longer".

George St-Pierre Not Sure If He Will Defend UFC Middleweight Title
He will defend the crown February 10 in Perth, Australia, against former titleholder Luke Rockhold in the main event of UFC 221. Camera IconLuke Rockhold (right) during his loss to Michael Bisping at UFC 199.

Family members said it was unclear whether the baby would survive.

His uncle Deepak said they chose to collect his body as per the wishes of the elders in the family.

Their father told reporters that he would not take the child's body home unless the two doctors were arrested.

A panel formed by the Delhi government to look into the case, yesterday found Max Hospital guilty of not following prescribed medical norms in dealing with newborn infants.

In response to the Delhi government's report, Max Healthcare said in a statement, "We would like to thoroughly review the final report when we receive it before commenting".

"No ECG (Electrocardiography) tracings were done to trace whether the child was alive", the source said, referring to the findings of the initial report.

Like this: