Published: Wed, January 10, 2018
Sport | By Gary Shelton

Villas-Boas withdraws from Dakar Rally after being hospitalised

Villas-Boas withdraws from Dakar Rally after being hospitalised

Former Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas-Boas has been admitted to hospital after crashing out of the Dakar Rally on Tuesday, ending his first attempt at the legendary cross-continent race. Instead, he was pretty adamant that eventually he would drop football altogether to become a rally auto racer.

Villas-Boas left Chinese football team Shanghai SIPG past year in order to follow in the footsteps of his uncle Pedro, who competed in the 1982 and 1984 editions of the Dakar.

As a result, Villas-Boas was taken to hospital due to a back pain. He said that the crash had forced him to pull out of the race. Thankfully, Villas-Boas wasn't seriously injured, but it did cut his inaugural rally short.

Villas-Boas had been representing Team Overdrive and driving a Toyota, but he will now have to wait until next year if he wants to complete the race.

Supreme Court appears likely to approve Ohio's voter purging
Voting rights groups have charged it is a veiled attempt at voter suppression. His case is now before the US Supreme Court . Activists rally outside the U.S.

The Portuguese told BBC Sport his spine and back hurt, "but nothing broken, which was the main worry". The Dakar unfortunately is finished for us.

I'm a little disappointed that Andre didn't get a little further in the competition, honestly.

Villas-Boas crashed on a sand dune while racing through a desert in Peru, then two hours, 18min and 50sec behind leader and WRC legend Sebastien Loeb.

Like this: