Published: Sat, January 13, 2018
Worldwide | By Gretchen Simon

More than 40 People Remain Missing after the Mudslides in California

More than 40 People Remain Missing after the Mudslides in California

Routes in and out of Santa Barbara have been shut down from the south, and various roadways have been swallowed by the floods.

Anxious family members awaited word on loved ones Wednesday as rescue crews searched grimy debris and ruins for more than a dozen people missing after mudslides in Southern California destroyed an estimated 100 houses, swept cars to the beach and left at least 17 victims dead.

Four children are among those killed, including a three-year-old girl who died alongside her mother, and an 87-year-old who was discovered in his home.

This undated photo provided by Gina Conte, shows Rebecca Riskin.

Local resident Kristin Denault was jerked awake in the middle of the night when Santa Barbara's emergency bulletin alarm system blared from her cellphone. A GoFundMe page has been created to help the family.

In addition, eight commercial buildings were destroyed and 20 were damaged.

"I thought I was dead for a minute", she told them before an ambulance spirited her away.

At this point, the death of 17 people has been confirmed. The firm dubbed her, "The First Lady of Luxury Real Estate".

Troy lives with her sister and brother-in-law, who, like her, were ready to leave but then decided against it.

Pitney said many rescues were still happening Wednesday and Thursday, but most if not all were of people who were safe but just wanted to get out of the area. Company spokeswoman Erin Lammers said Riskin was a ballerina with the American Ballet Theater in NY before an injury cut short her dancing career. "We can't get in, we can't get out unless you get escorted by the police", Montecito resident Matt McAllister said.

Unfortunately, there was no place to go.

Kerber clinches Sydney title
It was Kerber's second win over the 19th-ranked Barty in three meetings. I played some of my best tennis this week and it wasn't enough.

Rescuers plan to search several areas for a second time, hoping to find victims in structures previously examined in the immediate aftermath of Tuesday's mudslides.

"Everything right now is rumor", she said. In a rescue helicopter that was surveying the damage on Wednesday, National Guard Chief Warrant Officer Sean Quillin said the shock and speed of the mudslide had left almost every survivor shaken.

That mud and debris even shut down a 30-mile stretch of Highway 101.

"You're walking around in waist-deep soup", he said of the grueling undertaking. "It's nearly like being blind-folded and poking around in the dark".

The drenching storm that triggered the disaster gave way to sunny skies, as hundreds of searchers carefully combed a messy landscape strewn with hazards.

The worst damage was in the community of Montecito, Santa Barbara County Fire Department spokesman Mike Eliason said, where some homes were knocked off their foundations by the strength of the mudslide. The likelihood is increasing that we'll be finding bodies, not survivors.

Quirk, meanwhile, planned to keep working at the relief center.

Brown said Bleckel had been on the sheriff's missing persons list before he was discovered.

"Most injuries we saw were related to fast-moving debris", Wilson said.

Crews used bulldozers to move boulders and fallen trees blocking mud-filled streets. "They were digging in the Montecito Inn and down there in the parking lots yesterday, and I think there may have been some fatalities down there, I don't know".

Like this: