Published: Mon, April 16, 2018
Worldwide | By Gretchen Simon

'Highly suspicious': Sydney bushfire remains out of control

'Highly suspicious': Sydney bushfire remains out of control

Residents in Sandy Point, Pleasure Point, Voyager Point, Alfords Point, Barden Ridge, Illawong, Menai and Bangor are still advised to keep a close eye on the situation and activate their bushfire survival plans if conditions change.

So far no homes have been lost though there has been some property damage, Mr Fitzsimmons said.

The fire continues to burn in an easterly direction towards Barden Ridge, but the threat has been reduced.

"It is still an active fire ground but we are not seeing the sort of weather extremes, particularly with the wind that we saw yesterday", Rural Fire Service Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons told reporters in Sydney on Monday.

The RFS at 7am said the easing conditions had allowed firefighters to begin back burning along Heathcote Drive.

Some 500 firefighters are still battling the out-of-control blaze which the premier said had been fanned by high winds and "unusually high temperatures for April".

"We have had reports of impact on properties in west Menai and Barden Ridge but our crews at the moment are exclusively focused on fighting the fire, " Allan said Sunday evening. Residents in these areas should shelter in place.

Renfrew County dons jerseys for Humboldt
Members of her family are Sudbury Wolves season ticket holders, and her husband has played hockey for many years. The funds will go towards the helping the victims and families impacted by the fatal bus crash on April 6.

"So I'm sure everyone's been out checking their roof, making sure everything's wetted down and keep an eye on those spot fires".

The Holsworthy fire - which has burned 1000 hectares - resulted in hundreds of people leaving their homes on Saturday evening with flames nearly reaching properties at Holsworthy and Wattle Grove and spot fires later threatening Sutherland and Menai.

A strike force has been established to investigate the blaze which is believed to have started in Wattle Grove.

"There is plenty of work ahead", the commissioner said.

Over the weekend the blaze was declared an emergency a number of times but was downgraded to watch and act when winds dropped down to around 15 to 25 kilometres per hour.

The fire has burned almost 2,500 hectares of land, the RFS said.

Fire investigators were still working to determine the cause of the fire, but Mr Fitzsimmons said it was most likely deliberately lit.

Like this: