Published: Mon, April 16, 2018
Worldwide | By Gretchen Simon

Shark attacks surfer in Western Australia

Shark attacks surfer in Western Australia

"After discussing with local authorities, the water safety team and surfers, the WSL commissioner's office has chose to resume competition for the Margaret River Pro at Main Break at 10.40am, following a one-hour hold prompted by reports of a shark incident at Gracetown - approximately 15km away from the event site", a spokeswoman said.

The incident was reported on the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed, which broadcasts reports of shark sightings, just before 9am local time.

The incident reportedly happened at Cobblestones, south of Gracetown and Cowaramup, near Margaret River, about three hours south of Perth. "We saw a splash", John John explains in the video, "so we put the contest on hold and made a decision to put the drone up to check out what was going on... and we found two sharks".

"We have been alerted of a shark incident that occurred near Gracetown", the tweet said.

After assessing the situation, organizers of the Margaret River Pro chose to resume the event with additional safety measures in place. "We have mitigation protocols in place and will be enhancing those when competition resumes". The safety of our surfers & staff is a top priority.

Kentucky governor says remarks about teacher protest, sexual assault were misunderstood
But, he said, "The responsibility for communicating things falls on the person, in large measure, who's doing the speaking. Teachers from across Kentucky gathered in the state Capitol to rally for increased funding for education on Friday.

Paige Hareb was one of the first surfers back in the water after an hour delay due to a nearby shark attack.

"A shark popped up and pretty much ended up knocking a surfer from his board", surf photographer Peter Jovic, who witnessed the attack, told ABC. "After that it was hard to see what was going on".

Speaking after the attack, that left bite marks to the bone on his leg, Mr Longgrass said he slapped the water in a bid to scare it off.

The group then gave the victim first aid on the beach before paramedics arrived on scene and airlifted the man to Perth Hospital via helicopter 270 km north. He is conscious and breathing and being treated for leg injuries.

Fisheries scientists from Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development will inspect the surfboard that was being used by the injured surfer.

Like this: