Published: Fri, July 13, 2018
Worldwide | By Gretchen Simon

Eight Boys Rescued from Flooded Thai Cave

Eight Boys Rescued from Flooded Thai Cave

An elite team of Thai navy SEALs and foreign rescue divers brought out the final four boys and their soccer coach from a flooded cave near the Thai-Myanmar border, extracting the team through a labyrinth of tight passages after they spent two weeks trapped in darkness. "Four plus one coach, so it's five".

Jesada Chokedamrongsuk, permanent secretary of the ministry of public health, said: "All eight rescued boys today are in good health, none have a fever".

Sunday and Monday's rescue missions took between nine and 11 hours.

Since then, Thai and global divers and specialists have been strategizing how to safely extract the boys and their coach.

Interior Minister Anupong Paojina said the same divers who participated in Sunday's rescue are conducting the operation Monday because they are familiar with the cave conditions.

A stretcher which is believed to be carrying a boy rescued from the Tham Luang cave is moved from an ambulance in the northern province of Chiang Rai, Thailand, in this photo taken by Kyodo July 9, 2018.

The Facebook page of the Thai Navy Seals, who have been central to the rescue operation, was updated on Monday night to say "two days, eight boars" - a reference to the Wild Boars, the name of the boys' football team.

Rescuers in Thailand are racing against predicted monsoon rains - that could kick up in the middle of this week - to free the remaining boys still trapped in a flooded cave.

The final four and their coach are expected to be rescued later Tuesday after 17 nights inside the cave system.

Ryan Giggs Has an Interesting Take on Cristiano Ronaldo Transfer
The USB Lavoro Privato union does not represent all workers at Melfi and the strike will be short, running from Sunday 15 July to Tuesday 17 July.

The first 4 boys who were rescued the other day, aged between 12 and 16, are now allowed to eat normal food once again.

Somboon Sompiangjai, 38, the father of one of the trapped boys, said parents were told by rescuers ahead of Sunday's operation the "strongest children" would be brought out first.

Medical teams previously said concerns included hypothermia and an airborne lung infection known as "cave disease", which is caused by bat and bird droppings.

Besides being developed as a learning centre, there were also plans by the authorities to turn the cave into a museum where efforts to compile equipment and tools used during the massive operations had already begun, he said.

"I'm hoping for good news".

"We have not been told which child has been brought out".

Narongsak said after the first four boys were rescued that they would be quarantined "for a while because we are concerned about infections".

The boys will miss the FIFA World cup as it could be at least seven days before they can be released from hospital.

Like this: