Published: Thu, July 19, 2018
Worldwide | By Gretchen Simon

Thailand soccer team rescued from cave released from hospital

Thailand soccer team rescued from cave released from hospital

Last week, the Thai Navy SEALs released video showing just how hard and unsafe that rescue mission was as they raced to save the team from more potential flooding.

The remaining member of the Wild Boars soccer team - Adul Sargon - is reportedly a Muslim and did not attend the ceremony, meant to extend one's life and protect it from dangers.

The 12 boys and their soccer coach who were trapped in a Thailand cave for more than two weeks have been released from the hospital.

"I feel sad. And another thing is I'm really impressed with Sergeant Sam [Mr Gunan] for sacrificing his life for all 13 Wild Boars to be able to live our lives outside happily and normally", he said.

The boys are due to return to their homes later Wednesday. "At least we were trying to do something", he said.

Two Australian divers who helped rescue 12 boys from a flooded cave in Thailand will receive civilian honours, PM Malcolm Turnbull says.

Twelve Thai boys and their football coach have been discharged from hospital, a week after a daring rescue operation saw them extracted from a cave where they had been stuck for more than two weeks.

The public relations department in Chiang Rai province solicited questions from news outlets ahead of time and they will be forwarded to psychiatrists for screening.

During the work to stash air tanks along the escape route, a former Thai navy SEAL diver died.

All expressed their thanks and apologized for not telling their parents of their plan.

Barack Obama delivers speech in South Africa
While there was no guarantee that progressive values would ultimately triumph, there was no place for despondency, Obama said . And yes, democracy can be messy, and it can be slow, and it can be frustrating. "Basic truths do not change", Obama said.

Ekkapol said they had ventured into the cave after soccer practice and initially meant to stay no more than an hour underground, so they did not bring any food with them.

Nine days later, the boys - aged 11 to 17 - and their 25-year-old coach were found dishevelled and emaciated but alive on a muddy ledge about four kilometres inside the complex cave. Faced with a group of hungry, weakening boys, Ekapol urged them to drink water to keep full and to try to dig holes out through the cave with rocks, so that they had a sense of objective.

During the operation, it was revealed in media that Mongkol, Mu Pa teammates Pornchai Khamluang, 16, and Adul Samon, 14, as well as assistant football coach Ekkapol Chantawongse are stateless.

The group had planned to explore the Tham Luang cave complex for about an hour after football practice on June 23. The boys had engaged in meditation to keep clam and their fear under control in the darkness.

"I had no strength", said the team's youngest member, nicknamed "Titan", "I tried not to think about food so I didn't get more hungry".

They found a muddy area on top of a rock where they made a decision to spend the night, the boys said, explaining they prayed before going to sleep.

During the press conference, the team recounted their ordeal and the intense feeling of relief when they were found by British divers.

Doctors, social workers and psychologists were on hand at the news conference to filter questions and ensure the boys' well-being.

"We felt guilty, because of his death", the coach said, before some of his players read out messages of condolences they'd written for the diver's family. Amid a frantic search effort by hundreds of rescuers and support personnel, foreign and Thai divers found the group sheltering on a dry patch about 4 kilometers from the entrance of the cave on July 2.

The 13 entered to applause from the media and classmates.

Like this: