Published: Tue, September 18, 2018
Worldwide | By Gretchen Simon

Deadly Typhoon Mangkhut shakes Hong Kong buildings as it moves into China

Deadly Typhoon Mangkhut shakes Hong Kong buildings as it moves into China

Residents hunkered down in their apartments, and streets in the usually buzzing city were deserted Sunday.

One resident staying with colleagues in a harbourside hotel told AFP they hid in the bathroom to keep safe as windows smashed in their rooms and winds swept away their belongings.

It has been compared in ferocity to super Typhoon Haiyan which killed more than 7,000 people in 2013.

A girl walks on debris caused by Typhoon Mangkhut on the Hong Kong waterfront.

Another four deaths have been reported in China as winds of up to 125mph and storm surges as high as 10ft hit Guangdong province.

The typhoon slammed the coast of Jiangmen city in southern China's Guangdong province on Sunday evening packing winds up to 162 km per hour.

Boats were thrown on to the shore by powerful waves and the vast rainfall has brought fears of landslides, although none have yet been reported in Hong Kong.

Although rainstorm warnings been been canceled, residents were advised about river flooding.

Some roads were waist-deep in water with parts of the city cut off by floods and fallen trees. None of them were alive, authorities said Monday. It then skirted south of Hong Kong and the neighboring gambling hub of Macau, before making landfall in China.

The storm was still affecting southern China's coast and the provinces of Guangdong, Guangxi and Hainan and rain and strong winds were expected to continue through Tuesday.

Ronaldo scores first goal for Juventus
Juventus recorded their fourth successive Serie A win this afternoon with a 2-1 defeat of Sassuolo in Turin. "I really wanted to score these first goals and I'm happy to have found the net", Ronaldo told reporters .

Panels and debris from a collapsed ceiling are seen with blown over pieces of furniture in a company office, in a harbourside commercial building, whose windows were blown out the day before during Typhoon Mangkhut in Hong Kong on September 17, 2018.

In Macau, next door to Hong Kong, casinos were ordered to close from 11:00pm Saturday, the first time such action was taken in the city.

Francis Tolentino, a political adviser to President Rodrigo Duterte, told the BBC he estimated only a fifth of produce there had been harvested in advance - threatening staples like rice and corn.

Hong Kong's weather observatory issued its highest storm warning alert - a signal T10 - and the normally bustling city was all but shut down as transport was suspended and torrential rain flooded roads and buildings.

Most of those were recorded in the Philippines, where a national police report said the death toll as of Monday midday was 65, with 43 people missing and 64 injured.

Meanwhile, Hong Kong's hospital authority reported that 213 people had sought medical treatment as a result of the typhoon.

And though the Government had begun clean-up efforts, aid agencies were struggling to reach affected areas, according to Aprilynn Villamar, an emergency program officer for Catholic Relief Services in Benguet. Phone lines and communication in parts of the province have also been affected.

Though Typhoon Mangkhut has now been downgraded, experts say Mangkhut may well end up being a deadly storm as it has already claimed over 60 lives with more than dozens missing.

People who had crowded into evacuation centres were receiving government food packages, Ms Villamar said, and water was being delivered as the mains supply had been compromised.

Like this: