Published: Mon, October 22, 2018
Worldwide | By Gretchen Simon

Saudi Arabia calls Khashoggi killing 'grave mistake,' says prince not aware

Saudi Arabia calls Khashoggi killing 'grave mistake,' says prince not aware

Saudi Arabia's Minister of Foreign Affairs Adel al-Jubeir said in an interview with United States television channel Fox on the same day that Prince Mohammed had no knowledge of Khashoggi's death.

Khashoggi, who was a critic of the Saudi monarchy and lived in the U.S., went missing after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2.

She said: "I agree with all those who say when it comes to our already limited arms exports to Saudi Arabia, that they can not take place in the current situation".

American intelligence officials have said they intercepted communications showing that Saudi officials were plotting to lure Khashoggi back to the kingdom - an operation that was ordered by the crown prince, the officials said.

"He was killed in the consulate".

California Rep. Adam Schiff, the top Democrat on the House intelligence committee, said on ABC's "This Week" that the killing should be a "relationship-altering" event for the US and Saudi Arabia, which has said it will retaliate against any economic sanctions or other moves against it.

On Saturday, the kingdom changed course dramatically, announcing that a preliminary investigation found that Khashoggi was killed after a fistfight inside the consulate.

"But Saturday, in an interview with The Washington Post, Trump said, "Obviously there's been deception and there's been lies".

Speaking to supporters on Sunday in Istanbul, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Turkey is seeking justice and that he will "go into detail" in a speech to ruling party members in parliament.

Meghan Markle shocked by Prince Harry's public hug in Australia
Lifeguard Jake Nolan, who has previously met Harry on Bondi Beach, said: "He said that he'd met us before - he came by the tower". And mom-to-be Meghan Markle has been the ultimate trooper, attending multiple events each day with a huge smile on her face.

The UK, France and Germany issued a joint statement expressing shock at the death and demanding a full explanation, saying: "Nothing can justify this killing and we condemn it in the strongest possible terms".

The latest account, provided by a Saudi official who requested anonymity, includes details on how the team of 15 Saudi nationals sent to confront Mr Khashoggi on Oct 2 had threatened him with being drugged and kidnapped, then killed him in a chokehold when he resisted.

He said: "We are not going to throw our hands in the air and terminate our relationship with Saudi Arabia, not just because of the huge number of British jobs that depend on it but also because if you exert influence over your partners you need to be able to talk to them".

"They told us that he left the consulate", Jubeir said.

Bombshell new allegations linking Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi have been published by a Turkish newspaper.

While 18 others are said to be under investigation, singling out Asiri as a scapegoat clearly is meant to protect Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

"There remains an urgent need for clarification of exactly what happened. beyond the hypotheses that have been raised so far in the Saudi investigation, which need to be backed by facts to be considered credible".

The Turkish leader's statement came the day after Saudi authorities conceded Khashoggi had been killed inside their diplomatic compound in Istanbul.

Like this: